This listed warehouse in Dusseldorf’s Medienhafen was built by architect Wilhelm Kordt in 1898/99 for merchants De Haen-Carstanjen & Söhne and was used throughout the 1990s as a media and studio building. Working in close collaboration with the Institute for the Protection of Historic Buildings and Monuments, the Wilhelminian structure has been converted into a modern office development complete with cafés, restaurants and other uses and given new life as the “Kaispeicher”.
A number of discrete modifications have allowed the formation of flexible, fully accessible office space. To guarantee optimum light conditions and keep changes to the façade to a minimum, a 100m² atrium spanning three floors has been created inside the building.
The cafés and restaurant on the ground floor and the new, generously proportioned exterior steps complete with seating are intended to bring new life to the public space in front of the building.